Blue Marble Space Institute of Science is a non-profit research institute with an interdisciplinary approach to studying the relationship between Earth system science, space exploration, and the future of humanity. Our members constitute a distributed network of scientists across the world that integrate research across disciplinary boundaries and facilitate scientific conversations with the public in traditional and innovative ways.
Specific areas of research include: planetary habitability · origin of life · space biology · climate change · sustainable development · human spaceflight · solar system exploration · remote space exploration · global catastrophic risk
- How did life on Earth originate, and how long will Earth remain habitable for humans?
- What environmental analogues on Earth can help us understand the environments of other planets?
- How do human civilization and the Earth system co-evolve?
- What technologies allow the human civilization to co-exist with a dynamic planet?
- What human spaceflight models will be effective in short-term transportation of humans into low-Earth orbit as well as long-term travel to the Moon, Mars, and beyond?
- Has life ever developed on another planet in the Solar System?
- How unique is Earth among other planets in the galaxy?
Our science is funded through a combination of government grants, private grants, sponsored research, and private donations. As a non-profit, any donations will support our research and public outreach, and contributions may be tax deductible. We welcome you to contact us if you have any questions or if you are interested in partnering with us!
Blue Marble Space Institute of Science
1001 4th Ave, Suite 3201
Seattle, WA 98154
If you would like to receive information about our monthly seminars, outreach activities, and opportunities to become involved, then subscribe to the Friends of BMSIS group to stay in touch.
Blue Marble Space Institute of Science is an initiative of Blue Marble Space, a non-profit public charity organized under section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. Documents describing our organizational structure or tax exempt status are available on the Blue Marble Space website.
Blue Marble Space Institute of Science is a registered trademark of Blue Marble Space corporation. No claim is made to the exclusive right to use “space institute of science” apart from the mark as shown.